The best way to prevent problems with bears is to avoid unintentionally feeding them.
- Secure bags of trash inside cans stored in a garage, basement, or other secure area.
- Place trash outside, as late as possible, or trash pick-up days – not the night before. Keep all garbage sites clean.
- If a bear is in the area, remove bird or hummingbird feeders, even if they’re advertised as “bear proof”.
- Avoid “free-feeding” pets outdoors. Do not leave pet food out overnight. If you must feed pets outdoors, make sure all food is consumed and empty bowls are removed.
- Clean all food and grease from your grill or outdoor kitchen after each use. Bears are attracted to food odors and may investigate.
- Clean all food or food trash out of your vehicle whenever you park for the night and discard your trash indoors.
- Lock your car and any entrances to your garage or house. (If you don’t believe that a bear is capable of opening an unlocked door, watch the video at the top of the email again.)